Get Animated! allows you to experience every step in the animation process and brings to life the evolution of animation from traditional hand-drawn cels to exciting breakthroughs in stop–motion and CGI. You will create their own storyboard and stop–motion animated movie, go behind the scenes with artists and animators, and enjoy the world’s largest touring 3D zoetrope. Get Animated! highlights characters from well–known animated cartoons and films to help guests of all ages experience the science and technology behind the magic of animation.
This hands–on, interactive exhibit allows you to:
- Create your own movies using 3D objects and 2D drawings at Stop Motion Stations and see a recreation of an actual stop motion studio.
- Develop your own storyboards using magnetic props and characters at the Storyboard Wall.
- Experience every step in the animation process through guided, interactive video clips.
- Design on–screen art through motion painting, using only hand and arm gestures.
- Create blends of colors using sensors on the illuminated Color Wall. The display also features jars of actual colors used by cel animators and gives you an understanding of basic color theory and practice.
- Control the speed of animation to understand the principles of persistence of vision and the subtleties animators give to characters to bring their stories to life through the Spin Browser.
- Learn about voice acting through the experience of Bill Farmer, voice of Goofy, and many other characters.
Additionally, younger children will:
- Experience the drawing process step–by–step, using rear projection at How to Draw Stations.
- Trace actual animation at Tracing Stations.
- Use KEVA planks to build their own sets, inspired by a replica of the Shrek castle.
You will also enjoy viewing:
- The world's largest touring 3D zoetrope.
- Original cartoons from early 20th century animation pioneers.
- Original puppets and maquettes from Clokey Studios, makers of Gumby.
- A 3D printing station which explores stop–motion in the 21st century, where hundreds of character poses and expressions are fabricated on a desktop.
Photo ops include Spongebob Bikini Bottom, Simpson's Living Room, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride Car, the Scooby–Doo Mystery Machine and "That's All Folks," recreating the iconic close to Warner Brothers cartoons.
Get Animated! is produced by Stage Nine Exhibitions with support from major animation studios, including Warner Brothers, Screen Novelties, Aardman Animations, Laika and Premavision. Get Animated! is generously supported by APS and Scott Bindley, Writer, The Nut Job 2 and is located on Level 3 in the Sybil B. Harrington Galleries at Arizona Science Center.